Events in 2019-20
Preparation Centre Awards – Business English Certificate Courses & Exams
Dr.A.Shahin Sultana, Professor of English has been awarded “Extra Mile Award” for Continuous Excellence by Cambridge Assessment English, University of Cambridge, London on 22.11.2019 at the Annual Coordinators’ Conference held at Hotel Rain Tree, Chennai. The award was given in recognition of the special efforts taken by her as the Coordinator of Business English Certificate Courses in conducting the Courses and the exams well and producing good results consistently. The award was presented by T.K. Arunacahalam, Regional Director, South Asia Region, Cambridge Assessment English.
In 2016 she was awarded “Best Staff of the year – All Rounder” award by Cambridge Assessment English at the Cambridge Partners’ function held at Hotel Hyatt Regency in recognition of her contributions towards Business English Certificate Courses and the multi-task role she played in preparing and training the speaking examiners and administering the BEC exams successfully and achieving good results every year She was instrumental in starting Business English Certificate Courses and in the signing of Mou. The university became the first private university in the whole of South India.
Our institution which has been functioning as BEC Centre has been given the award “Preparation Centre Award 2019-2020” for Continuous Excellence in recognition of conducting the exams as per the standards set by Cambridge Assessment English.
A Guest – Lecture on Énglish: Modern Day Lifeline
A Guest- Lecture on Énglish: Modern Day Lifeline was organized by the Department of English for Ist semester students of B.A.English(Hons.) on 17.10.2019. The Resource Person was Dr.David Wesley, Assistant Professor of English, Madras Christian College, Chennai-59. He created awareness among the students about the different career avenues available for the programme they have chosen. He was very interactive and the students enjoyed the session. Dr.Ayub Khan Dawood, Dean of Social Sciences & Humanities and faculty members also attended the lecture.
A two-day workshop on ‘Writing for Research Purpose’ (19th and 20th July 2019)
The Department of English in association with the Office of Dean Research conducted a two-day workshop ‘Writing for Research Purpose’ on 19 th and 20 th July 2019. The convener was Dr.H.Sofia, Associate Professor of English & Head i/c and the Co- convener was Dr.E.Syed Mohamed, Assistant Dean, Research. Nearly 100 participants from B.S.Abdur Rahman Crescent Institute of Science & Technology and other institutions from all over Tamilnadu attended this workshop. The aim of the workshop was to enable the researchers of all disciplines whose first language is not English to write a good research paper and thesis. The resource papers were Dr Albert P’ Rayan, HOD English from KCG College of Technology, Chennai, Dr Antony samy, HOD English Loyola College, Chennai, Dr K.Ganesh, Former Head, Department of English, Chennai, Dr S.Vijayakumar, AP/English, BSACIST, Dean Research Dr Raja Md, Dr Syed Mohamed, Assistant Dean and Dr Khurshid, Deputy Dean Research. All the sessions were well received by the audience. The participants not only learnt how to write a research paper without errors but also to publish papers in good journals free of plagiarism.
Events in 2018-19
One day workshop ‘Pedagogies for Language and Literature in the 21st Century’ on 30.4.2019
The Department of English organized a one day workshop ‘Pedagogies for Language and Literature in the 21st Century’ on 30.4.2019 in order to provide input on various techniques for handling the learners of language and literature of the 21st century. 52 participants from various institutions in and around Chennai attended this workshop.The resource persons were Dr.Shrimathy Venkatalakshmi, Professor & Head,Department of English Anna University, Guindy and Dr.K.Ganesh, Professor & Head, Department of English, Madras Christian College, Tambaram.
MOU with Cambridge
Our institution has been the pioneer in signing MOU with Cambridge, being the First of its kind in 2010, in 2014 and the third and most recent one in August 2018, offering Business English for engineering students in India.
MOU in 2010
MOU in 2014
MOU in 2018
Events in 2016-17
- An ICSSR- Sponsored Two-Day National Workshop on ‘Virtual Learning’ for teachers in B.S.Abdur Rahman Institute on 3rd and 4th February 2017.
Events in 2014-15
Inaugural-Fuction-of-National-Conference-Socio-Economic and Politcal-status-of-Muslims-in- India
- A guest- lecture on “Social Sciences for Engineers” was organized for the students of I year B.Tech on 7.8.2014. Dr Gnana Pushpam, former Principal, Patrician College of Arts and Science, Chennai delivered the lecture.
- The School of Social Sciences organized a two day ICSSR Sponsored National Conference on Socio-Economic and Political Status of Muslims in India: Challenges and Development on 21 and 22 January 2015. The conference was inaugurated by Prof Abdul Shaban, Pro Vice Chancellor, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai. There was overwhelming response for the conference. Participants were from Jammu & Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh, Kerala, West Bengal, Assam, Telengana, Tamil Nadu. The conference proceedings was released by the chief guest , Abdul Shaban. The valedictory function was presided over by K..Alauddin, former Principal Secretary, Government of Tamil Nadu.
- A guest- lecture on “Importance of Law for Engineers” was organized for the benefit of the students of fourth semester B.Tech on 25.3.2015. Dr.V.Balaji, Associate Professor in Law, Post graduate department of Law delivered the lecture.
SEMINAR / WORKSHOP ORGANIZED
- A one day Colloquium on Emerging theories and Applications in English Literature and Language Teaching Research was organised on 13th February 2016 for the benefit of research scholars of English Literature and Language Teaching to discuss the emerging trends and orient the researchers in the right direction, widen the perspectives and facilitate their research progress.
- A one-day workshop on ‘Drafting an effective lesson plan: An OBTL approach’ was conducted on 10 October 2014 to train the English teachers in the nuances of writing an effective lesson plan with greater focus on Technical English and implementing it successful yin the classroom in line with the OBTL methodology
- A two-day National Conference “A Paradigm Shift in English Language Teaching & Testing: A Literary / Linguistic Approach” was conducted on 14 & 15 March 2013 for the faculties and research scholars of English language teaching and literature to address the need and myriad aspects and the implications of teaching language and literature in the present scenario.
- A state level workshop on “Creativity in English Language Teaching – CELT 2012” was conducted on 11th October 2012 for the faculties of English in schools and colleges to foster creativity in English language teachers, teach English innovatively, prepare learning materials & lesson plan preparation, assess learners’ progress and create creative classroom in the Digital Age.
- A two-day National Seminar on Technology integrated Language Teaching – TILT 2012 was conducted on 1 & 2 March 2012 for the faculty members of English to equip them to integrate technology in the effective teaching of the language and to exploit technology to give the learner autonomy in learning the LSRW skills.
- A State Level Seminar “Crescience 2000 – A Meeting of Creative Minds” was conducted in January 2000 for the 1st year students of engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu to develop their communication skills.
- “Crescience 2007 – A Meeting of Creative Minds” was conducted on 15.03.2007 to highlight the role of English in Technical Education and to focus on the needs of professional learners to develop their communication skills.
- ” A State Level Workshop “TILT 2008” was held in October 2008 for teachers of Engineering colleges to give hands on experience in the use of technology resources and tools in the language classroom.
- A State Level Seminar “Crescience 2011” was conducted on 11th March 2011 for the students of 1st year B.E./B.Tech of all the engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu to provide an exposure for paper presentation.
TRAINING PROGRAMMES CONDUCTED
In order to prepare the faculty for the teaching of Business English Certificate courses effectively and to prepare them and the technical staff for conducting the Computer based test, the following training programmes were organized.
- A co-ordination programme for the faculty of the Department was organized on 29th October 2012 for the conduct of BEC Vantage Speaking Test.
- Training the Trainers’ programme was organized on 22nd October 2010 to give an orientation on BEC Preliminary Exams for the faculty of the Department.
- A training programme was conducted for the technical staff of the Departments of English, IT, MCA and CSE on 07th April 2011 to conduct the Computer Based Test – BEC Preliminary Exams for the students of B.Tech II semester.
- A training programme for the faculty to qualify themselves as Oral Examiners in order to conduct the Speaking test (forms part of BEC Preliminary exam) was conducted on 09th April 2011.
- A training programme for Test Administrators was conducted for the faculty of the Department on 19th May 2011 to administer Computer Based Test for BEC Preliminary course.
- “Training the Trainers’ Workshop was conducted for the faculty of the Department to prepare them to conduct BEC Vantage course for the students of III semester on 11.07.2011 and 12.07.2011.
- A training programme was conducted for the benefit of the faculties of the Department on 5th November 2011. This programme was organized to qualify themselves as Oral Examiners (Business English Certificate – vantage level).
- The Department of English conducted the Business English Certificate Exams (Vantage level) for the students of III Semester B.Tech. The speaking test was held on 29th and 30th November 2011 and the Reading, Writing & Listening (Paper Based Test) was conducted on 3rd December 2011.