Department of Polymer Engineering
Department of Polymer Engineering was established in 1996 with an aim to provide technical services and manpower to various polymer industries and academic research institutions and national laboratories. A four year undergraduate program, B.Tech in polymer engineering, first of its kind in Tamil Nadu, was started with an intake of 30 students.
The department has adequate infrastructure and well-equipped laboratories and it is empowered with a team of highly qualified faculty members.
- To expose students in fundamentals, design, development, processing and best practices in polymer science and technology
- To develop analytical and problem-solving abilities
- To develop student’s capability to anticipate and manage technological challenges in polymer science and technology
- To provide quality manpower to cater the needs of plastics, rubber, composites, adhesives, coatings and other polymer industries
- To support polymer industries by providing consultancy in new product development and testing
- To create laboratories with world class facilities
Salient Features of the Department
- Excellent infrastructure with extensive and imported instruments for synthesis of polymers, testing and processing of plastics, rubbers and composites
- Moldflow and other software for mould and product design
- Highly qualified faculty with expertise in diversified polymer fields
- Affiliate faculty from foreign Universities and Industries
- Experiential / Project Based Learning
- Funded projects from AICTE, DST, DRDO, NRB etc (Rs 2.0 crores)
- World class research facility for the development of high performance polymers, polymer electrolytes , polymer nanomaterials, coatings and nanocomposites ( FTIR, DSC, TGA, DMA, XRD, Electrochemical workstation, Particle size analyzer, Glove box etc.)
- Assured placement for all qualified students
- Excellent scope for higher studies and research in abroad
Scope for Employment
Polymer Engineering programme binds the various branches of engineering. Polymer Technologies are the binding forces behind today’s advancements in Engineering and Technology.
A polymer technologist has a scope in number of avenues like aerospace, materials, chemical, mechanical and even into medicine. Entrepreneurs from this area are also highly appreciated due to the flexibility and versatility of the branch.
The passed out students of this branch are placed in,
- Employment in core polymer industries such as Apollo Tyres Ltd, Boodai Trading Company Ltd., Haritha Ferar Ltd, HSI Automotive India Ltd, Kingfa Science & Technology (India) Limited, Motherson Automotive Technologies & Engineering and so on
- Employment in software industries such as Infosys, Cognizant solutions, I-Nautix, Accenture and so on
- Higher studies, viz M.tech, MS and MBA in India and abroad