Dr. Abudhahir .A
||Professor & Director (IQAC)
|Nature of Employment
||Year of Passing
||Measurement and Instrumentation
||Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
||Instrumentation and Control Engineering
||Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai.
Work Experience & Positions Held
Total Teaching & Research Experience: 23 years
|Name & Address of the Employer
||Period of Employment
||Total Exp. (in years)
|B.S. Abdur Rahman Crescent Institute of Science & Technology, Vandalur, Chennai – 48.
||Professor/ EIE & Director (IQAC)
|Vel Tech Rangarajan Dr.Sagunthala R&D Institute of Science and Technology, (Deemed to be University) Avadi. Chennai – 62.
||Professor/ EEE & Director (Quality Assurance) and Dean (Freshman Engineering)
| National Engineering College, Kovilpatti – 628503.
||Professor & Head
Transducer Engineering, Control Systems, Process Control, Microprocessors, Electron Devices, Computer Control of Process, DCS and PLC, Digital Signal Processing, Image Processing, Linear Integrated Circuits and Industrial Instrumentation
Total Number of Research PaperPublications – 35
h – index : 7
Scopus Researcher ID : 24079691400
Total Number of Research Paper Publications – 52
h – index : 8
Externaly Funded Research Project
Project Title: Development of Hall Sensor Array Based Magnetic Flux Leakage (MFL) System for Non-Destructive Image and Evaluation of Localized Defects in Ferromagnetic Steam Generator Tubes
Sponsoring Agency: Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences (BRNS)
Role: Principal Investigator
Amount: 23.56 Lakh
Period: 21-12-2010 to31-12-2013 (Three years)
Collaborator: Dr. B.P.C. Rao, Head – NDE Division, Metallurgy & Materials Group, IGCAR- Kalpakkam.
AICTE – MODROBS
Project Title: Modernization of Measurements and Instrumentation Laboratory
Sponsoring Agency: All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE)
Role: Principal Investigator
Amount: 6.00 Lakh
Period: 02-03-2013 to01-03-2014 (One year)
Ph.D. GUIDANCE – Anna University, Chennai
No. of scholars Ph.D Degree Awarded – 10
||Title of the Ph.D.Thesis
||Name of the Scholar
||Design and analysis of improved control schemes for antilock braking systems
||Experimental studies on objective pain measurement using indigenously developed pain inducer
||Development of magnetic flux leakage system for detection of defects in steam generator tube
||A confronting feedback structure and controllers for elementary super lift Luo converters working in discontinuous conduction mode
||Studies on defect detection and characterization in magnetic flux leakage images of steam generator tubes
||Development and comparison of facial expression recognition methods using machine learning techniques
||Development and implementation of compressive sensing schemes for energy conservation in wireless sensor networks
||Design and analysis of control schemes for improving the performance of PEM fuel cells
||Dr.E.A. Mohamed Ali
||Development and comparison of modified methods to improve the linearity of transducer characteristics
Number of PG dissertations supervised : 5
Number of UG Projects guided : 30+
- RS Ganesh, P Karuppasamy, A Abudhahir, R Vinoth, S Selvaperumal, 3D Modeling of MFL Imaging System to Detect Surface Discontinuities in Ferromagnetic Tubes, Materials Evaluation, vol.78, issue 3, pp.379-386, 2020.
- J Daniel, A Abudhahir, JJ Paulin, Tsallis Entropy Segmentation and Shape Feature-based Classification of Defects in the Simulated Magnetic Flux Leakage Images of Steam Generator Tubes, International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, vol.34, issue.1, pp. 2054002, 2020.
- V Suresh, A Abudhahir, J Daniel, Characterization of Defects on Ferromagnetic Tubes Using Magnetic Flux Leakage, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol.55, issue 5, pp.1-10, 2019.
- EA Ali, A Abudhahir, AM Boopathi, Firefly Algorithm Tuned PI Controller for Pressure Regulation in PEM Fuel Cells, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, vol. 15, issue 3, pp.845-853, 2018.
- S Muthukaruppasamy, A Abudhahir, AG Saravanan, J Gnanavadivel, P Duraipandy, Design and implementation of PIC/FLC plus SMC for positive output elementary super lift luo converter working in discontinuous conduction mode, Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol.13, issue 5, pp.1886-1900, 2018.
- J Daniel, A Abudhahir, K Shankar, S Pandi, Steam Generator Tubes Detection and Classification of Discontinuities using Discrete Wavelet Transform and MFL Testing, Materials Evaluation, vol.76, issue 6, pp.706-715, 2018.
- JS Alaric, V Suresh, A Abudhahir, MC Sobia, M Baarkavi, Theoretical Analysis of the Rectangular Defect Orientation using Magnetic Flux Leakage, Measurement Science Review, vol.18, issue 1, pp.28-34, 2018.
- MC Sobia, A Abudhahir, An Efficient Adaptive Network-Based Fuzzy Inference System with Mosquito Host-Seeking for Facial Expression Recognition, Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing, vol.24, issue 4, pp.869-881, 2018.
- JB Thangamalar, A Abudhahir, Enhanced Linearization Process Based on Modified Multi Objective Covariance Matrix Adapted Evolution Strategy, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, vol.15, issue 6-7, pp.1779-1784, 2018.
- V Suresh, A Abudhahir, J Daniel, Development of magnetic flux leakage measuring system for detection of defect in small diameter steam generator tube, Measurement, vol.95, pp.273-279, 2017.
- M Ali, A Abudhahir, A ManivannaBoopathi, Sliding Mode Controller for Pressure Regulation in PEM Fuel Cell, Journal of Communications Technology, Electronics and Computer Science, vol.15, pp.5-15, 2017.
- J Daniel, A Abudhahir, JJ Paulin, Magnetic flux leakage (MFL) based defect characterization of steam generator tubes using artificial neural networks, Journal of Magnetics, vol.22, issue 1, pp.34-42, 2017.
- MC Sobia, A Abudhahir, Facial Expression Recognition Using a Hybrid Kernel Based Extreme Learning Machine, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, vol.14, issue 6, pp.2894-2904, 2017.
- S Muthukaruppasamy, A Abudhahir, Dynamic Performance Analysis of Novel Modified Bridge Less Canonical Switching Cell Converter, Asian Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities, vol. 7, issue 3, pp.146-168, 2017.
- V Suresh, A Abudhahir, An analytical model for prediction of magnetic flux leakage from surface defects in ferromagnetic tubes, Measurement Science Review, vol.16, issue.1, pp.8-13, 2016.
- P Karuppasamy, A Abudhahir, M Prabhakaran, S Thirunavukkarasu, BPC Rao, T Jayakumar, Model-based optimization of MFL testing of ferromagnetic steam generator tubes, Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, vol. 35, issue 1, pp.5, 2016.
- AM Boopathi, A Abudhahir, Design of grey-verhulst sliding mode controller for antilock braking system, International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, vol.14, issue 3, pp.763-772, 2016.
- AM Boopathi, A Abudhahir, Adaptive fuzzy sliding mode controller for wheel slip control in antilock braking system, Journal of Engineering Research, vol.2, issue 4, pp.1-19, 2016.
- RBA Hameed, M Duraisamy, A Abudhahir, B Subramanian, Evolutionary optimized discrete Tchebichef moments for image compression applications, Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences, vol.24, isssue 4, pp.3321-3334, 2016.
- S Muthukaruppasamy, A Abudhahir, Design and Implementation of Sliding Mode Controller Plus Fuzzy Logic Controller for Discontinuous Conduction Mode Operation of Negative Output Elementary Super Lift Luo Converter, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, vol.13, issue 11, pp.8505-8521, 2016.
- S Muthukaruppasamy, A Abudhahir, Indirect Output Voltage Control in Negative Output Elementary Super Lift Luo Converter Using PIC plus FLC in Discontinuous Conduction Mode, Circuits and Systems, vol.7, issue 11, pp.3685-3704, 2016.
- A Abudhahir, JB Thangamalar, Enhanced Linearisation Approach for CTA Linearisation based on Evolutionary Algorithm, Asian Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities, vol.6, issue 10, pp.108-121, 2016.
- S Renuka, A Abudhahir, Correlation Aware Compressive Sensing Scheme for Energy Constrained Wireless Sensor Networks, Asian Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities, vol.6, issue 10, pp.953-976, 2016.
- S Muthukaruppasamy, A Abudhahir, Performance Analysis of Discontinuous Conduction Mode Based Negative Output Elementary Super Lift Luo Converter using Sliding Mode Controller Plus Fuzzy Logic Controller, Int J Adv Engg Tech, vol. VII/Issue II/April-June, vol.420, pp.433, 2016.
- AM Boopathi, A Abudhahir, Firefly algorithm tuned fuzzy set-point weighted PID controller for antilock braking systems, Journal of Engineering Research, vol.3, issue 2, pp.1-16 3, 2015.
- V Suresh, VK Gopperundevi, A Abudhahir, R Antonysamy, K Muthukkutti, Simple Algorithm for the Magnetic Field Computation in Bobbin Coil Arrangement, International Journal of Innovative Research in Computer and Communication Engineering, vol.2, issue 1, 2014.
- N Chermakani, V Suresh, A Abudhahir, P Madan, Frequency Response based PID Controller Design with Set point Filter, International Journal of Computer Applications, vol.975, pp.8887, 2013.
- AHR Begum, D Manimegalai, A Abudhahir, Optimum coefficients of discrete orthogonal tchebichef moment transform to improve the performance of image compression, Malaysian Journal of Computer Science, vol.26, issue 1, pp.60-75, 2013.
- R Jeyakumari, K Shankar, A Abudhahir, Fabrication and Testing of Thermal Pain Inducer, International Journal of Computer Applications, vol.975, pp.8887, 2013.
- N Mondal, A Abudhahir, SK Jana, S Munshi, DP Bhattacharya, A log amplifier based linearization scheme for thermocouples, Sensors & Transducers, vol.100, issue 1, pp.1, 2009.
- A Abudhahir, S Baskar, An evolutionary optimized nonlinear function to improve the linearity of transducer characteristics, Measurement Science and Technology, vol.19, issue 4, pp.045103, 2008.
- A Abudhahir, S Baskar, Evolutionary optimised nonlinear function for linearisation of constant temperature anemometer, IET Science, Measurement & Technology, vol.2, issue 4, pp.208-218,2008.
- Abudhahir, S.Baskar, Linearization of Thermocouple characteristics using log-ratio amplifier, Journal of Instrument Society of India, 36,2007
- EM Ali, AM Boopathi, A Abudhahir, S Velappan, Enhancement of PEM Fuel Cell Performance with Direct Active Fuzzy Sliding Mode Controller, 2020 IEEE International Conference on Advances in Science and Engineering Technology (ASET), pp.1-6, 2020.
- AEA Mohamed, BA Manivanna, A Abudhahir, S Velappan, Direct Active Fuzzy Non-Linear Controller for Pressure Regulation in PEM Fuel Cell, 2019 IEEE 8th International Conference on Modeling Simulation and Applied Optimization (ICMSAO), pp.1-5, 2019.
- MC Sobia, V Brindha, A Abudhahir, Facial expression recognition using PCA based interface for wheelchair, 2014 International Conference on Electronics and Communication Systems, pp.1-6, 2014.
- R Saranya, J Daniel, A Abudhahir, N Chermakani, Comparison of segmentation techniques for detection of defects in non-destructive testing images, 2014 IEEE International Conference on Electronics and Communication Systems (ICECS), pp.1-6, 2014.
- J Daniel, R Mohanagayathri and, A Abudhahir, Characterization of defects in Magnetic Flux Leakage (MFL) images using wavelet transform and neural network, 2014 International Conference on Electronics and Communication Systems (ICECS), pp.1-5, 2014.
- SK Devi, K Shankar, A Abudhahir, Acquisition of radial artery pulses (NADI), 2014 IEEE International Conference on Electronics and Communication Systems (ICECS), pp.1-6, 2014.
- A Abudhahir, AHR Begum, D Manimegalai, Tchebichef moment based image quality measure, 2014 IEEE International Conference on Electronics and Communication Systems (ICECS), pp.1-5, 2014.
- R Anitha, S Renuka, A Abudhahir, Multi sensor data fusion algorithms for target tracking using multiple measurements, 2013 IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Computing Research, pp.1-4,2013.
- M Prabhakaran, P Karuppasamy, A Abudhahir, BPC Rao, Modeling of mfl system to inspect ferro magnetic tubes, International Journal of Computer Applications, vol.975, pp.8887, 2013.
- K Shankar, M Thangaraj, A Abudhahir, Performance analysis of MPPT algorithms for enhancing the efficiency of SPV power generation system: A simulation study, 2013 International Conference on Emerging Trends in VLSI, Embedded System (ICEVENT), pp.1-5, 2013.
- S Janakiraman, J Daniel, A Abudhahir, Certain studies on thresholding-based defect detection algorithms for Magnetic Flux Leakage images, 2013 IEEE International Conference on Emerging Trends in Computing and Nanotechnology (ICECCN), pp.507-512, 2013.
- KR Chairma Lakshmi, NE Coll, K Shankar, M Thangaraj, A Abudhahir, Performance analysis of MPPT algorithms for enhancing the efficiency of SPV power generation system: A simulation study, Emerging Trends in VLSI, 2013 International Conference on Embedded System, Nano Electronics and and Telecommunication System (ICEVENT), pp.1-5, 2013.
- S Sangeetha, IJ Daniel, A Abudhahir, R Gokul, Characterization of Defects in Magnetic Flux Leakage Images, 2013.
- MC Sobia, S Menora, A Abudhahir, Eye localization towards developing a head postures-based interface for wheelchair, 2012 IEEE International Conference on Machine Vision and Image Processing (MVIP), pp.33-35, 2012.
- EAM Ali, A Abudhahir, A survey of the relevance of control systems for PEM fuel cells, 2011 IEEE International Conference on Computer, Communication and Electrical Technology (ICCET), pp.322-326, 2011.
- VS Raghavan, LP Suresh, K Shankar, T Balaganesan, A Abudhahir, V Subbiah Bharathi, Hand Tremor Measurement using a Non-Contact Transducer, 4th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, Dhaka, Bangladesh/pp. VII 123-125, December 26-28, 2001.
Presentations at Regional & International CDIO Conferences
- Enhancing attainment of learning outcomes through active learning, 12th International CDIO Conference, Turku University of Applied Sciences, Turku, Finland, June 12-16, 2016.
- CDIO implementation experiences at VTU – Chennai, 12th International CDIO Conference, Turku University of Applied Sciences, Turku, Finland, June 12-16, 2016.
- Implementation of introduction to engineering course through freshman engineering project, 13th International CDIO Conference, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada, June 18-22, 2017
- Improving the attainment of learning outcomes through industry engagement, 13th International CDIO Conference, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada, June 18-22, 2017.
- Enhancing faculty competence through teaching developers’ initiative, Presented at the 2017 CDIO Asian Regional meetingheld in Bangkok, Thailand organized by Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi (RMUTT) in cooperation with Faculty of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University,June 13-16, 2016.
- A flexible curricular topology for optimal career options from freshman engineering to capstone, Presented at 2018 CDIO Asian Regional Meeting, March 12 – 14, 2020,Duy Tan University, Danang, Vietnam.
Professional services rendered to the nation at large
- Played vital role in National Board of Accreditation (NBA), New Delhi for India to become permanent signatory member in Washington Accord.
- Served as a member of Engineering Accreditation Evaluation Committee (EAEC) and Moderation Committee in National Board of Accreditation, New Delhi for about two years.
- Acted as a member in NBA Evaluation peer team for more than 20 visits.
- As an Expert member in NBA, prepared accreditation standards, evaluation criteria, accreditation manual and evaluators’ report for Tier –I Washington Accord (WA) Accreditation and played vital role in NBA, New Delhi to become signatory member in WA.
- As an expert member in NBA, involved in the preparation of complete accreditation documents for Post graduate engineering and technologyprogrammes, diploma engineering programmes, B.Pharm., Hospitality and Hotel Management and MCA.
- As a Master Trainer of NBA, acted as resource person for more than 50 workshops organized by NBA, New Delhi at its various Nodal Centers across India.
- Nominated as a Mentor by NBA for Mepco Schlenk Engineering College, Sivakasi to prepare them for Washington Accord Mentors’ visit.
- Resource person for about 50 Workshops and Training programmes on Outcome Based Accreditation organized by Engineering Staff College of India (ESCI) – Hyderabad.
- As one of the expert members, prepared documents and standards for RashtriyaUchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) – a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) of MHRD, Govt. of India.
- Mentored about 40 institutions in our country including NIT- Tiruchirappalli, Government College of Technology – Coimbatore, BMS College of Engineering – Bangalore, PES University, Bangalore, UIET- Kurukshetra, Punjab University – Chandigarh, Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University – Lucknow etc vis-à-vis implementation of OBE.
- As an invited expert member, acted as resource person for more than 200 workshops on OBE & Accreditation and acted as Mock visit team member for about 100 institutions which include SSN College of Engineering – Chennai, Kumaraguru College of Technolgoy, FISAT Kochietc across the country.
- Served as Anna University representative in Academic Council of Government College of Engineering, Salem.
- Served as Research Board Member, Centre for Research, Anna University – Chennai from 2012 to 2013.
International University Visits
- Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) – Interacted with Prof. Lock Kai Sang – Observed Outcome based education implementation and Capstone project and Freshman project(2015).
- Singapore Polytechnic – Discussed with the professors in the Department of Educational Development about CDIO framework and implementation – Observed Fablab and active learning classrooms(2015).
- Chengdu University of Information Technology, China – Attended 11th International CDIO Conference – Discussed with CDIO international community towards implementation of CDIO standards(2015).
- Vietnam National University, Ho Chi Minh City – Interacted with Deans about implementation of CDIO curricular framework for undergraduate engineering programmes (2016).
- Yanshan University, China – Presented about Veltech University for becoming CDIO member in the Asian Regional meeting and observed the CDIO basic and advance level projects done by the students(2016).
- Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden – Interacted with the Cofounder of CDIO Prof. Johan Malmqvist and shared Veltech university’s progress vis-à-vis implementation of CDIO framework(2016).
- Turku University of Applied Sciences, Finland – Presented two research papers about CDIO implementation of Veltech University in 12th CDIO International Conference(2017).
- Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi, Thailand – Shared our innovations in the teaching learning towards enhancing the attainment of learning outcomes in the CDIO Asian Regional Conference(2017).
- Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand – Observed CDIO initiatives and state-of-the-art academic facilities(2017).
- University of Calgary, Canada – Presented two research papers on Freshman Engineering Project and Industry roles in enhancing the attainment of learning outcomes in 13th International CDIO conference(2017).
- University of Victoria, Canada – Visited Learning Teaching Centre (LTC) and discussed about curriculum design, contemporary instructional methods and assessment and evaluation methods (2017).
- Duy Tan University, Danang, Vietnam – 2018 CDIO Asian Regional Meeting, March 12 – 14, 2020, shared our experiences vis-à-vis choosing optimal career path for the students with respect to CDIO – CBCS perspective
- University of Twente, Nederland – 2018 To make comparative study on Twente Education Model, Vel Tech Curricular Model and CDIO curricular framework
- University of Aalborg, Denmark – CDIO, PBL, TOM, NEET and Vel Tech curricular models were discussed.
- Aarhus University, Denmark – The 15th international CDIO conference held at Aarhus University (AU) from 25 June 2019 to 27 June 2019.
- Denmark Technical University – Compared DTU curriculum with Vel Tech model at course level; Faculty training on pedagogy and Product redesign engineering for freshman
- Singapore Polytechnic International – International CDIO Meeting to develop engineering curriculum for 2030 by revising CDIO standards and Syllabus considering sustainability; Wednesday, November 13, 2019 – 09:00to Thursday, November 14, 2019 – 16:00
Professional Society Membership
- Life Member (No.: LM26271) – Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE), India.
- Member (No.: M-136653-4) – The Institution of Engineers (India)
- Member – The Institution of Engineering and Technology (UK)