Dr. Revathi Viswanathan
||Professor & Head
|Nature of Employment
||044 22759247 Ext:247(Office)
||Year of Passing
||Self-Directed learning (ELT)
|Cert. in TESOL
||Global English, Exeter. UK
||Period of work
|B.S. Abdur Rahman Institute
||From 2008 – till date
|Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat
||Feb. 2008- May 2008
|ICFAI National College
||June 2005- Jan. 2008
|Bhaktavatsalam Memorial College for Women
||July 1995- May 2005
|C.T.T.E College for Women
||July 1993- May 1995
- Date of Joining : 7 th July 2008.
- Years of Experience in B.S.Abdur Rahman Institute: 9 years
- Previous Experience: 15 years
||Programme & Semester
||B.Tech – I
||Communication Skills Laboratory – I
||B.Tech – II
||Communication Skills Laboratory – II
||B.Tech – III
||Communicative English – I
||B.Arch – I
||Communicative English – II
||B.Arch – II
||Communication Skills Laboratory
||MCA – II
||Communication Skills – I
||MBA – I
||Communication Skills – II
||MBA – II
- Serving as Prof.& Head in the department of English
- Has specialized in English Language Teaching and Technology Enhanced Language Teaching
- Has guided two PhD scholars and currently guiding 2 scholars.
- Conducts action research in the use of technology in the language classroom
- A teacher trainer for more than a decade.
- Serving as Cambridge ESOL examiner since 2006.
- Recipient of Ray Tongue Scholarship (South Asian Scholarship) in 2003 and WORLD CALL Scholarship in 2010.
- Has authored in 4 refereed journals, 4 chapters in books and published 2 books.
- Member of International Association of Teachers of English as Foriegn Language (IATEFL) and English Language Teachers’ Association of India (ELTAI)
Areas of Research Interest
- TESL/TEFL (Teaching English as a Secon Language/ Teaching English as a Foriegn Language)
- TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Technology Enhanced Language Teaching
- Teaching Technical English to ESL Learners
- ‘Training in Virtual learning’, an ICSSR (Indian Council of Social Science Research) funded two-day national workshop for teachers on 3rd & 4th February 2017.
- ‘Effectiveness of Learner Training in Developing Aural –Oral skills in Slow Learners at the Undergraduate Level’, a two- year UGC Funded Project in 1998-2000.
- ‘The Use of Blogs and NiceNet as Tools in the learning process- A study’ in 2002.
- ‘Technology Enhanced Language Learning and Teacher Development in the Digital Era’ published by Kindle E- Publisher (ebook) and (Hard cover) ISBN-13: 978-1521873755, July 2017.
- A book on ‘Soft Skills for Career Communication’ published by Preesat publications, Chennai in May 2011.
- An English Course Book and Practice Book for Primary level students for Allied Publications India Ltd. in 2008.
- A book on ‘New Directions in Teaching English’ in 2002
- A Chapter on “Effectiveness of Teacher Training in Using Latest Technologies: A Study” in the Encyclopaedia of Information Science and Technology, Forth Edition, published by IGI Global publication in June 2017 with the ISBN13: 9781522522553.
- A Chapter on ‘Language Skills training through Mobile Apps: Opportunities & Challenges’ in the book entitled, ‘Accelerated Opportunity Education Models and Practices’, IGI Global publication in July 2016.
- Published a Chapter titled ‘Web Based CALL: A Tool to Develop Writing Strategies among Tertiary Level Students’ in the book Handbook of Research on Individual Differences in Computer-Assisted Language Learning in August 2015.
- Published a chapter titled, ‘Mobile Devices as Effective Training Tools in Digital Era’ in the book, Advanced Research in Adult Learning and Professional Development: Tools, Trends, and Methodologies, published by IGI Global publications Ltd with the ISBN no. 978-1-4666-4615-5 in January 2014.
- A Chapter titled, ‘Challenges in Blending Online Instruction with Classroom Teaching-An Indian Experience’ was published in the book ‘Connecting Online for Instruction and Learning’ in 2013. ISBN-13.978-1481034579. Page Nos. 239-256.
- Authored a manual titled “Soft Skills for Career Communication” published by Preesat Publishers in May 2011.
- Authored a chapter titled, “Using Mobile Technology and Podcasts to Teach Soft Skills” in the Handbook of Research on Web 2.0 and Second Language Learning in December 2008.
Publications in Journals/Proceedings
- Paper titled, ‘Challenges in Blending Online Instruction with Classroom Teaching-An Indian Experience’ was published in the book ‘Connecting Online for Instruction and Learning’. ISBN-13.978-1481034579. Page Nos. 239-256.
- A conference paper on ‘Teaching and Learning through MOOC’ was published in the proceedings, ‘Frontiers of Language and Teaching Journal’ Vol.3.(January 2013)
- Published an article ‘Designing Learning Materials for Students- A Gateway to Teacher Development’ in online journal, Journal of Technology for ELT (ISSN 2231-4431) Vol.3. No.1 (Jamuary-March 2013)
- Published a paper titled ‘Social networking and Blogging to Enhance Learning’ in Fifth Anniversary Project Classroom 2.0 Book, which is available at http://www.scribd.com/Classroom20Book/
- Published a paper titled, Technology for Teachers” in the proceedings of UGC sponsored national seminar on Models of Teaching conducted by M.E.S. college Marampally, Kerala held on 19-20 January 2012with ISBN 978-81- 923985-0-1 pp15-19.
- A Chapter on ‘ Blended Learning in a Traditional Classroom’ in the book, ‘Frontiers of Language and Teaching’, Vol.2. ISBN-10: 1612335594.
- Published a paper titled “Using Blogs for Teaching Technical English – A Study” in the Journal of Technology for ELT, vol. 1.No.1, April 2011.
- Published an article on “Learner Autonomy in ELT” in the JELT journal (special issue) vol.48.No.4.. P.18-26, July-August 2010.
- Published an article in TESL – e-journal on “The Impact of Internet in Language Training in India” in December 2008.
- Published an article “E-Learning: Virtual Classrooms” in the ‘Journal of Technology for ELT’ vol.3, no.4 in Oct. – Dec 2013 issue with ISSN: 2231-4431.
- A paper on ‘Learning Opportunities in a Virtual Classroom-An Experience’ in WIZIQ online conference on 24.2.2018
- A paper on “Flipped Learning through Mobile Devices” in WIZIQ online conference on 5th February 2016
- Presented a paper on “Assessment of learning outcomes in English & study skills” in the 10th International and 46th Annual ELTAI conference at Ghaziabad between 9th and 11th July 2015.
- Presented a paper titled “Collaborative Teamwork in an Online Learning Environment – Possibilities and Challenges” in Wiziq Online Conference held on 8 February 2015.
- Presented a paper on ‘Handling Ethical Issues for Developing Digital Citizenship’ in Leadership Summit on 28th March 2014.
- Presented a paper on ‘Application of Experiential Learning Theory’ in ‘Learning Revolution 2014’ online conference on 24th April 2014.
- Presented a paper on ‘Knowledge Enhancement through Emerging Technologies-Need of the Hour in Digital Era’ in ‘Library 2.0’ online conference on 9th October 2014.
- Presented a paper on ‘Fostering Societal Consciousness through Soft Skills Training’ in ‘Global Education’ online conference on 18th Nov. 2014.
- A paper on ‘Scope for Professional Development in Digital Era’ in WIZIQ Online Conference conducted on 9th February 2014.
- A paper on ‘Augmenting Language Training at the Tertiary Level through Mobile Devices-A Study’ In 11TH Asia TEFL Conference held on 26th October 2013.
- A paper on ‘Online Learning Materials for a MOOC Course’ in Library 2.0 Conference on 19th October 2013.
- A paper on ‘Individualized Instruction for Enhancing Work Efficiency’ in 2013 Reform Symposium E-Conference (RSCON) on 12th October 2013.
- A paper on ‘Application of Learning Content in Engineering Disciplines’ in Global STEMx Education Conference in September 2013.
- Presented a paper on ‘Creating Social Awareness and Ethics Among Students-Ways and Means’ in the School leadership Summit conducted online on 28th March 2013.
- Presented a paper on ‘Moodle-An Authoring Tool’ in WIZIQ Onilne conference on 18th August 2012.
- Presented a paper on ‘Current Trends in Teaching and Learning Process’ in Learning 2.0 Online conference on 21st August 2012.
- Presented a paper on Challenges in Blending Online Instruction with Classroom Teaching-An Indian Experience in WIZIQ Online conference on 5th Feb. 2012.
- Presented a paper on “Blended Learning in a Traditional Classroom” in the 4th Online conference conducted by IOLC on 3rd September, 2011.
- Presented a paper on “Using Mobile Devices for Developing Communication Skills Among Tertiary Level Students” at the International Moodlemoot Online Conference conducted by Integrating technologies (IT4ALL) from 17th-21st August 2011.
- Presented a paper on “Promoting Collaborative Learning through Wiki” in an online conference conducted by Integrating technologies (IT4ALL) from 4th –5th Feb.2011.
- Presented a paper titled “Using Web 2.0 Technology to Discuss Case Studies – A Study” at EgypTESOL Conference held at Cairo, Egypt on 3 & 4 December 2010.
- Presented a paper on “A Web-based Environment in Teaching Technical English” at the ASIA TEFL conference held in Bangkok form 7 to 9 August 2009.
- Presented a paper on ‘Skype – the Training and Evaluation Tool in an ESL Classroom’ in WORLDCALL 2008 conference held at Fukuoka, Japan in August 2008.
- Participated in the International and Skills Summit 2015 & Worlddidac India from 9th to 11th September 2015 in Bangalore.
- Participated in the symposium on ‘Assessment of Learning Outcomes in English and Study Skills’ in the 46TH ELTAI & 11th International conference conducted at Gaziabad from 9th to 11th July 2015.
- Participated in the two-day National Conference “A Paradigm Shift in English Language Teaching & Testing: A Literary / Linguistic Approach” on 14 & 15 March 2013 at our University.
- Attended Teacher Educator Conference TEC 2013 conducted by British Council and EFL University from 16th -18th March 2013, as a RELO sponsored educator.
- Participated in the two-day national conference on “Instructional Methods and Materials for Outcome-based Education in English Language Teaching” on 10 & 11 October 2013.
- Attended two-day National Seminar on Technology Integrated Language Teaching – TILT 2012 on March 1 & 2, 2012 at our University.
- Attended an Online workshop on “Blog-based Lessons and E-Portfolios” between 17th January and 22nd February 2009.
- Completed a course on ‘Classroom Based Research for Professional Development’ conducted by Class-Based Research EVO 2016 in March 2016.
- Completed a course on ‘Materials Development for Online Language Courses’ conducted by NFLRC, Hawaii in September 2016.
- Attended an online course in Mobile Learning MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) for five weeks from 15th July to 20th August 2012.
- Attended a two-week course in “Using New Technology in the English Teaching and Learning” conducted by Bell’s Institute, in Homerton College, Cambridge as a recipient of Cambridge ESOL Scholarship Winner in August 2009
- Member of Editorial Board, International Journal of Computer Assisted Language Learning and Teaching since 2009.
- Member of organizations such as ELTAI and IATEFL.
Conferences / FDP / Seminars / Workshops Conducted
- An ICSSR- Sponsored Two-Day National Workshop on ‘Virtual Learning’ for teachers in B.S.Abdur Rahman Institute on 3rd and 4th February 2017.
- A one-Day Colloquium on ‘Emerging Theories and Applications in English Literature and Language Teaching Research’ for research scholars in B.S.Abdur Rahman Institute on 13th February 2016.
- A two-day National Workshop on ‘Mobile –Assisted Language Learning’ in collaboration with English language Association of Teachers of India (ELTAI) in B.S.Abdur Rahman Institute on 21st and 22nd August 2015.
- Serving as Review Board Member for International Journal of Computer Assisted Language Learning (IJCALLT) since 2009
- Served as Review Board Member for Handbook of Research on Individual Differences in CALL in 2014 and for Encyclopaedia of Information Science and Technology (4th Edition) in 2016.
- Conducted two sessions in communication skills for Infotech Employees in October 2016.
- Conducted a session on ‘Virtual Learning’ for teachers in Loyola College in February 2016.
- Served as a judge to evaluate ICT projects of KendriyaVidyalaya teachers in February 2016.
- Conducted a session on ‘Blog –A Forum to give form of expression’ for students of Valliammai Engineering College on 3rd November 2015.
- Conducted a Workshop on ‘Virtual Learning’ in SBOA School, Annanagar on 7th February 2015.
- Conducted sessions on Using Wiki for Teaching Writing Skills’ and ‘Using Mobile Devices for Learning’ in KendriyaVidhyalaya, Trichy on 6thDecember 2014.
- Conducted workshop on ‘Online Discussion for Enhancing Written Communication’ in ELTAI International Conference conducted from 21st to 23rdAugust 2014 at Jaipur.
- Conducted two sessions relating ‘Virtual Classroom’ for teachers in Ethiraj College for Women on 25th September 2014.
- Conducted a workshop on ‘Using Technology in the Classroom’ in Sri SathyaSai Institute on 7th March 2014.
- Conducted a training session in ‘Content-cum- Methodology Training Program for teachers of TassimBeevi College for Women on 4.2.2014 and 5.2.2014.
- Attended a few sessions and participated in a Workshop during the International Conference titled “21st Century Learners – Learning Styles & Strategies” organized by SRM University and English Language Teachers’ Association of India in July 2013.
- One of the organizing committee members of the two-day national conference on “Instructional Methods and Materials for Outcome-based Education in English Language Teaching” on 10 & 11 October 2013.
- Conducted a workshop on “Empowering Students with Managerial Skills” at the International conference in Annamal College of Education in November 2013.
- Conducted a session on ‘Web2.0 Tools for Effective Teaching’ for engineering faculty in the FDP program at Anna University on 26th June 2013.
- Conducted a workshop session in SathyaBama University on ‘Using MOODLE as a Virtual Classroom’ on 9th February 2013.
- Conducted a session on ‘Technology for Modern Teaching’ in MET College in Aluwa, Kerala on 20th January 2012.
- Conducted a session on ‘Technology for Language Teachers’ in the National Seminar conducted at KCG College of Technology on 14th and 15 October 2011.
- Conducted two sessions on ‘Mobile learning’ and ‘Blog as a Tool for Communication’ in ThasneemBeevi College for Women’ in Kilakarai on 16th and 17th September 2011.
- Conducted a session on “Teaching and Learning with Technology” in the National Workshop conducted at SRM University in July 2011.
- Conducted a workshop session on “Integrating Web Quests into Wikis to Develop Language Skills among Tertiary Level Students” at the 6th International and 42nd Annual ELTAI Conference organized by VIT University, Vellore from 16 to 18 June 2011.
- Conducted two workshops on “Promoting Speaking with the help of Podcasts” and “Developing Writing Skills through Blogs” for the faculty of Kamalavathi Matric Hr.Sec. School, Thiruchendur on 19th & 20th March 2011.
- Conducted a workshop on “Teaching Technical Vocabulary” in the faculty development Training Programme at Anna University on 8th January 2011.
- Conducted two workshop sessions on “Developing reading & Writing Skills through Blogs” and “Developing Speaking Skills through Podcasts” in the national workshop on ‘Technology, Teaching & Testing Communication Skills’ conducted in Bon Secours College, Tanjore on 2 October 2010.
- Conducted a workshop on “Virtual Classroom Learning” in the 5th International & 41st Annual ELTAI Conference held from 5th to 7th August 2010.
- Conducted a workshop on “Technology Enhanced Teaching – Teaching Beyond the Classroom” in the induction program conducted by the Faculty Training Academy in our University from 15th to 17th July 2010.
- Conducted a session on “Blended Technology with Classroom Teaching at the School Level for School Teachers” at a National Seminar conducted by Integrated Technologies on 20th March 2010.
- Conducted a session on “A Virtual Learning Environment for Teaching Communication Skill for Teacher” and another session on “Podcasting beyond the Language Classroom” for teachers at a National Workshop conducted by SrimathAndavar College of Arts & Science, Trichy on 13th March 2010.
- Have been attending training programs for BEC preliminary and Vantage since 2010.
- Conducted a session on “An Ideal Classroom: A Synthesis of Tradition and New Technology” in Sri Muthukumaran Institute of Technology on 25 September 2009.
- Conducted a session on ‘Web-based Training in Soft Skills” in Presidency College, Chennai on 27 March 2009.
- Recipient of Cambridge ESOL Scholarship for doing a two-week course in Homerton College, Cambridge in 2009.
- World CALL 2008 scholarship winner for presenting a paper in Japan.
- Received a travel grant for presenting a paper in BESIG conference in Berlin in 2007.
- Recipient of Ray tongue Scholarship to present paper in IATEFL Conference at Brighton, in 2003.