Dr. S.Shamshath Begum
||Assistant Professor (Sr. Gr.)
|Nature of Employment
||B.Tech, M.S, Ph.D
||044-22751347 (Ext 290)(Office)
||Name of the University / Institution
||University of Madras
|Assistant Professor (Sr. Gr)
||B.S.Abdur Rahman Crescent Institute of Science & Technology
||B.S.Abdur Rahman Crescent Institute of Science & Technology
||Senior Research Fellow
||Central Leather Research Insitute, Chennai
||3 years &
||SASTRA University Thanjavur
||1 year & 5 months
- Applied Fluid Mechanics
- Environmental Science and Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Plastics Material & Technology
- Polymer Recycling & Waste Management
- Polymer Reaction Engineering
- Polymer Rheology
- Principles of Chemical Engineering
- Process Control and Instrumentation
- Unit Operation and Processes
- Social Entrepreneurship
Areas Of Research Interest
- Environmental Engineering – Solid and Wastewater Management
- Energy Engineering – Fuels and Wastewater treatment from Microalgae
- Energy recovery form Solid and Liquid Waste
- Recovery and Reuse of Polymers
- Flame Retardant characteristics in Foam, Polymer Rheology
- Modeling, Simulation and Neural Networks
- C. Kurinjimalar, G.Kavitha, S. Shamshath Begum, G. Rajaram, S. Nagaraj, N. Senthilkumar and R. Rengasamy, “Optimization and production of Botryococcus braunii biomass using commercial nutrients by Response Surface Methodology”, Iranian Journal of Energy and Environment, 8(4), 2017, pp. 18-25.
- P. Thilagarajan, A. Syed Naveed, S. Shamshath Begum, S. S. M. Abdul Majeed, S. Vijayarani, K. P. Sindhu, V. Krishnamoorthy and S. Gayathiri, “Improvement in the Flame Retardancy of Flexible Polyurethane Foam by addition of nano-silica”, International Advanced Research Journal in Science, Engineering and Technology 3 (5), 2016, pp. 138-142.
- S.Shamshath Begum, N.Vedaraman, Srinivasan, S.V, R. Rengasamy, Kurinji Malar, G. Kavitha and S.Vijayarani, “Phycoremediation of Tannery Dye Wastewater using Green Microalga”, Climate Change, 1 (3), 2015, pp. 192-197.
- M.Jidhendra Kaleeswar, J.Jerin Savio, S.Shamshath Begum, S.S.M.Abdul Majeed, S.Vijayarani and R.Gayathri, “Studies on Flexible Polyurethane Foam with improved Flame Retardancy”, International Journal of Advance Engineering and Research Development Advances in Plastics and Rubber Technology”, 2 (5), 2015, pp.1-7.
- M.H. Mahmood Ali Ismail, M.H. B.Yasar Arafath, S.S.M. Abdul Majeed and S. Shamshath Begum, “Development of Flexible Polyurethane Nanocomposite Foam with Enhanced Flame Retardancy”, Indian Journal of Advances in Chemical Science, 2, 2014, pp. 99-102.
- N.Vedaraman, S.Shamshath Begum and Srinivasan S.V. “Response Surface Methodology for Decolourisation of Leather Dye using Ozonation in a Packed Bed Reactor”, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 15 (4), 2012, pp. 607-616.
- Ravindranath, E; Kalyanaraman, Chitra; S Shamshath Begum and Gopalakrishnan, A Navaneetha, “Effect of Recirculation Rate on Anaerobic Treatment of Fleshing using UASB Reactor with Recovery of Energy”, Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, (69), 2010, pp. 790-793.
- Shamshath Begum. S, Lima Rose Miranda and S.V. Srinivasan, “Colour Removal of Remazol orange (3R) by Activated Carbon Produced from Hevea Brasilinesis”, Indian Journal of Environmental Protection, 6, 2006, pp. 769-775.
- S.Vijayarani, Dr.S.S.M.Abdul Majeed, Dr.S.Shamshath Begum, R.Daulath Banu, D.Murali Manohar and Basanta Kumar Behera presented a paper titled “Development and Characterization of Nylon 6/OMMT Clay Nanocomposites Compatibilized by Polyether Block Amide with Polyurethane Elastomer”, in an International Conference on Macromolecules: Synthesis, Morphology, Processing, Structure, Properties and Applications, ICNM 2016” organized by Mahathma Gandhi University, Kottayam , Kerala during 13 – 15 May, 2016.
- S.Shamshath Begum, N.Vedaraman, Srinivasan, S.V, R. Rengasamy, Kurinji Malar, G. Kavitha and S.Vijayarani, “Phycoremediation of Tannery Dye Wastewater using Green Microalga”, International Conference on Recent Innovations in Engineering and Technology-2015 (ICRIET’15), Feb (13–14), 2015, Mahabharathi Engineering College, Chinnasalem, 2015, pp. 185-188.
- S.Shamshath Begum, N.Vedaraman, R. Rengasamy and S.V.Srinivasan, “A Study on the Kinetics of Acid Metal Complex Leather Dye”, In : Proceedings International Conference on Futuristic Innovations and Developments in Civil Engineering (ICFiDCe 13), Mepco Schlenk Engineering College, Sivakasi, Tamilnadu, India, (April 18 – 20), 2013, ISBN : 978-93-80624-88-4, 2013, pp. 372-376.
- S.Shamshath Begum, N.Vedaraman and S.Vijayarani “A Study on the Treatability of Tanyard Fatliquor Wastewater with Simultaneous Recovery of Energy”, International Conference on Advances in Energy Engineering (ICAEE-2013), Dr.M.G.R Educational and Research Institute, University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India, (April 4 –5), 2013, pp. 92.
- S.Shamshath Begum, B.Hariganesh and R.A. Ramanujam “Studies on Degradation of Dyeing Wastewater Generated from Tanneries”, 3rd International Conference on Science, Engineering and Technology, Vellore Institute of Technology, (1), (Nov17-18), 2011, pp. 244-250.
- S.Shamshath Begum, and R.A. Ramanujam, “Energy Recovery from Segregated Tanyard Wastewater by Anaerobic Digestion”, Indian Chemical Engineering Congress, Chemcon, Annamalai University, (Dec 27-29), 2010, pp. 240.
Oral Presentation in Abroad :
- S.Shamshath Begum, R.A.Ramanujam and Lima Rose Miranda. “A Study on Characterization of Activated Carbon Produced from Hevea Brasilinesis and its Suitability in Wastewater Treatment”, International Conference on Environment 2008 (ICENV 2008), Penang, Malaysia, (Dec 15-18), 2008. pp.109.
- Jidhendra Kaleeswar, Jerin Savio, S.S.M. Abdul Majeed and S.Shamshath Begum and R.Gayathri, “Studies on Effect of Nanofiller Flame Retardant in Flexible Polyurethane Foam”, Advances in Plastics and Rubber Technology”, (APART 2015), MIT Campus, Chennai, (April 10-11), 2015, pp.72-77.
- M.H. Mahmood Ali Ismail, B.Yasar Arafath, S.S.M. Abdul Majeed, S. Shamshath Begum, ”Development of Flexible Polyurethane Nanocomposite Foam with Enhanced Flame Retardancy”, 6th National Conference on Advances in Polymeric Materials: Energy, Environment & Health”-Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering, Mysore, India, (April 25-26), 2014, pp.102.
- S.Shamshath Begum, N.Vedaraman, R. Rengasamy, S .V. Srinivasan and S.Vijayarani “A Scientific Remedy for the treatment of Pretreated Tannery Leather Dye by Chlorella vulgaris”, Energy and Environment Conference”, (EECON 2014), Anna University, Chennai, (March 3), 2014, pp.8.
- S.Shamshath Begum, N.Vedaraman, R. Rengasamy and S.V.Srinivasan, “A Scientific Study on the Removal of BOD and COD of Pretreated Leather Dye Wastewater by Microalgae” “National Conference on Recent Advances in Algology, Mycology and Plant Pathology” (NCRAAMPP-2014), University of Madras, Chennai, (Feb 19–20), 2014, pp. 9.
- E.Ravindranath, Chitra Kalyanaraman, R.Suthanthararajan, B.Uma Maheswari, S.Shamshath Begum, R. Bhuvaneswari and S.Rajamani. “A Scientific Remedy for the Disposal of Fleshing Generated from Tanneries”, National Symposium on Recent Trends in Industrial Waste Management for Sustainable Development (RIWAM), (India), Annamalai University, (March 17–18), 2004, pp.111-115.
- E.Ravindranath, S.Shamshath Begum and Thirumaran.K, “Fundamental and Technology Options of the Anaerobic Treatment of Liquid Waste”, Training program on High rate biomethanation treatment of Industrial and Muncipal waste, at Central Leather Research Institute, (Jan 7-9), 2004.
- Senior Research Fellowship, (2006-2010), Council of Scientific and Industrial Research,New Delhi, India.
- Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers IIChE (LM-41587)