CRESCENT DATA CENTRE
Institute Data Centre
- For effective utilization of Network infrastructure and reduction of hardware and storage cost, the state of art Data Centre with high end BladeServers(4Nos), Rack Servers(4Nos) and SAN storage(10TB) worth of Rs. 1 Crore is established at the annexure building of Computer Science block of B.S.A Rahman Institute.
- The highlights of this Data Centre would be to provide staffs and students of each dept to have 24 hours availability and accessibility to their computing resources through wired /wireless sitting in the lab or anywhere in the campus. They can continue their lab works, CampIT access, Internet/Intranet access and content access such as NPTEL through Streaming Server.
- Blade Servers HP BL460C
- 2x Quad Core Intel® Xeon processor E5506 (2.13 GHz., 4MB L3 Cache, 80 watts, DDR3 800) , 16 GB DDR3-800 RAM, 2 x 146GB 15,000 rpm,
- SAS HDD / FC-card, 800 MHz. FSB, with two Power supplies
- 2U Rack Servers HP DL360G6
- 2x Quad-core Intel Xeon Processor E5506 (2.13 GHz., 4MB L3 Cache), 16 GB DDR3 RAM, HBA, 2 x 146 GB 15000 rpm HDD SAS, Redundant power supplies. 800 MHz. FSB
SAN Storage HP EVA 4400
- SAN storage with 10TB usable capacity (support up to 18 TB) comprising of
- End-to-end FC storage 10K HDDs – with necessary 30 no. of 450GB HDD, End to End 4GBPS;
- Storage management software –
- Unlimited Command View license to scale up storage space,
- Multiple OS support bundled
- Folders are created for each Department in the schools to upload teaching content in the Streaming Server.
- The cost of the data centre is worth for Rs. 1 Crore.
- Powerful Servers, Centralized SAN storage and Gigabit fiber link to the entire campus makes it possible to access and utilize the computational power and information database of the institute from any department including the hostels.
- Virtualization of servers also provides reliable and trouble free applications running in the servers.
- The Data Centre works all the 24 x 7 hours a week.
- Windows Server 2008 – Enterprise edition
- Windows Server 2008 Std
- Windows Server 2008 Std
- RHEL Entwith standared support (up to 2 sockets) 3 year –Enterprise (9×5 Business Hour Phone/ Web Technical Support, 4 Hours response)
- Academic Vmware vSphere 4 Ent for 1 Processor (Max 6 core per Processor)for virtualization with 1 yr VMWARE Gold support
- Academic VM Ware V center server 4 STANDARD for V sphere for unlimited hosts
- Darwin / open source Streaming software
- Backup Software
- Tape backup software including Database License for DB2 &Oracle
- Virus Protection Software
- SYMC ENDPOINT PROTECTION 11.0 BNDL STD LIC ACAD BAND A ESSENTIAL 3yrs support, with all redundant UPS and Air-Conditioning facility and diesel generator.
Facilities and Services Provided at the Data Centre
In addition to above hardware and software provided and configured in the Data Centre , the following additional provisions and services are provided:
- Government of India’s National Mission on Education using ICT / National Knowledge Network have provided 1 Gb link connectivity to the Data Centre. This allows collaborative research with National Research Laboratories.
- This link provides 155 Mbps Internet bandwidth (100 Mbps download and 55 Mbps upload)
- 1 GBPS Internet bandwidth is provided through the Data Centre.
- Virtualization and Green Computing is made possible in the Institute Campus.
- 24 x 7 availability and accessibility of state of the art data centre with high end rack servers, blade servers, 10 Tera Byte SAN storage and virtualization.
- ARUBA networks. Wireless LAN controller Series 3000 box has been implemented in our data centre to avail the data centre facility through wireless connection within our campus.
- Content access such as National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) Lectures is available through Streaming Server.
- The entire campuses, including the hostels, have been connected by a 1Gbps fibre optic network.
- More than 50 Access points have been provided in the campus for wireless access to the Data Centre and internet
- Active Directory Server has been configured to prioritize access to any specific software
- A special database software e-SRM, a student information system which would help both the teachers and students to interact and know about attendance, continuous assessment etc. has also been implemented.
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre ( BARC ) Team Visit at BSAIST Data Center